, Member number 427, Dearnley Medallist 27, and Jennifer Rosewood
Member number 1197, nominated Colleen Abberfield
# 31281 for a Dearnley Medal. The submission was as follows:
It is my very firm belief that Colleen easily meets all criteria outlined for award recipients. Standing out meritoriously by means of her own dedication and deeds.
I believe Colleen to be an outstanding Ulysses Club member. She has tirelessly performed so many tasks for the Club and the Branch and I am confident, she hasn't finished yet!
Colleen has assisted her husband Michael, a Life Member, during his tenure on the National Committee as well as doing so much for the club in her own right always in a kindly courteous manner. Because of this she has made many friends locally and in other branches due to her liaising at many AGMs and joint social occasions.
Evidence of her organising skills with other branches was during her position of NLH branch secretary organising a Christmas in July in Wellington for 2019 and attended by over 70 members from at least six branches. The efforts to repeat the event this year were put on hold due to the shutdown of outings.
Attached is a list of some of Colleen's achievements for consideration.
• Joined Ulysses Club as full member in March 2003, was associate member with Mike from 1994.
• Event Secretary for Ulysses Club AGM event in Newcastle in 2011, this involved work over the 3 year lead-in period for the event
• Coordinated and ran the AGM Event HQ at the 2011 AGM Event
• Volunteered and worked with AGM Event Secretaries at Mildura (2012),
Fraser Coast (2013) and the Riverland's (2017) AGM's
• Volunteered and assisted with the new Administration Staff at Wodonga (2015) and Launceston (2016)
• Assisted with the 2017 UCARF raffle at the Riverland's AGM Event
• Volunteered and assisted the Event Treasurer at the Riverland's AGM at Barmera (2017) and also in the AGM Event HQ.
• Assisted with Administration Office work during period that Mike was National Treasurer this included general administration work, completing mail outs to members and pallet unpacking and packing (2014 - 2016) During this period there was a major changeover of administration staff and training of new staff members.
• Moral and material support for Mike when he was National Treasurer (2013 -2016)
• Newcastle Lower Hunter Branch committee member in 2012 and 2020 and Branch Secretary in 2018 and 2019.
The National Committee were pleased to approve the nomination and Colleen was presented with her Dearnley Medal (number 74) on 15 May 2021 at the Annual General Meeting held in Orange.